Travel to Nicaragua via Costa Rica during Pandemic
Time sensitive as things change and this was written on July 27th 2021 – Updated Nov 9th 2021.
So you are thinking of coming Nicaragua but the connections aren’t the best. Great News, Liberia, Costa Rica airport is a Hop skip and a jump away. However the requirements to enter the country of Costa Rica and Nicaragua are the same no matter which border, or form of transport, you decide to use.
All persons entering Nicaragua, no matter the age, will need an RT-PCR nasal swab Test with Negative results in Your name performed within 72 hours of your entry time to Nicaragua. Having trouble finding a place to do one? Ask for help from your Trusted RE/MAX Agent in Nicaragua or Contact us via a facebook group names Expat Life in Nicaragua. We look forward to seeing you inside the group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/227127592605210/?ref=share
As of Nov 2021, to enter Costa Rica you will either need a Vaccine Card or Health Insurance. Entering country for transit is doable, its staying in Costa Rica that could become difficult due to Vaccine card requirements to enter most none essential establishments establishments, including restaurants and tourism related places. Below is a list of the requirments to enter the Costa Rica country:
1) Health insurance that specifically states it will – ‘cover your medical costs in Costa Rica’. Personally used the following company and had no problems buying the insurance two days before my travel.
2) Health Pass be required, you will either need to provide your Covid Vaccine info or your insurance info.
Health pass: https://salud.go.cr/
3) Onward Travel – Costa Rica requires you to provide proof that you are leaving. Whether its a ticket to leave Costa Rica via air, via a tour bus from a formal tour compnay or just a Tica Bus ticket.
This onward travel (airline ticket) option must be booked atleast 7 to 10 days in advance, cost is roughly $12 USD per person https://onwardticket.com/
Personally, this Onward Travel didn’t work for me because I did it all 2 days before travel, and unknowingly waited too long. So got the bus ticket instead. Make sure to have a confirmed Seat with the bus ticket or it will not be accepted at the border.
Pandemic Travel Pro Tip #1
I went online and booked a Ticabus ticket that corresponded with my insurance. This cost of the ticket was $29 dollars for a one way ticket. Nicaragua may sometimes request proof that you are leaving the country upon entry, so you may want to book the ticket leaving Nicaragua As well.
https://www.ticabus.com – currently you will need to provide the Costa Rican health pass, to purchase this ticket for which, you will still needs the Costa Rican Health pass.
Pandemic Travel Pro Tip #2
If you are in Costa Rica for 10 hours or less, you will not need to pay the Costa Rican exit tax at the border because you will be considered a passenger in Transit.
Once you have arrived and are ready to travel through to the border with Nicaragua. You will need to produce your (preferably printed) negative RT-PCR Test for the Nicaraguan health office MINSA located right at the entrance of the immigration building when coming from the Costa Rican Land Border.
Pandemic Travel Pro Tip #3
Get a free RT PCR test at one of the multiple locations in Miami Dade County. Results were provided via email within 24 hours via email and this worked perfectly for travel requirements to enter Nicaragua.
You can also get an RT PCR Test in Costa Rica. Depending on your time of arrival, you may need to stay in Costa Rica upto 2 nights. There are various spots in Liberia
Where can I get the Test in Liberia, Costa Rica? “Hospital Metropilitano Costa Rica” can be found on Facebook.
- Price 53,000 Colones plus Tax – Colones Current (Nov 2021) exchange is about 640 colones to 1 US Dollar
- Results delivered within 24/48 after test sample is taken
- For more information you may call them direct +(506) 2521-9595
Pandemic Travel Pro Tip #4
Technically** to get into Nicaragua, you are supposed to fill the form below. The filled form is supposed to be submitted 7 days in advance of entry to Nicaragua. Download the form at https://solicitudes.migob.gob.ni/ and download the pDF of your completed form, then send via email to email@example.com
The above #4 has not been enforced for land travel via Costa Rica for a few months but apparently the tides are changing! It’s important to follow up on this make sure to submit it in time as it may become pertinent once again and it’s best you are aware in advance.
Once your Negative Covid Test results have been approved via Minsa, then your customs fun begins!
Pandemic Pro Tip #5
Remember they are looking to tax items such as:
- Multiples (2 or more) computers, phones or tablets – Make sure all the items you bring are out of the sales packaging and in use.
- Anything with GPS systems (internet routers, online security cameras, Two way Radio systems etc)
- Car parts, video equipment (led ring lights, back drops and such)
- When you have repeats of anything (4 or more) can be taxed as a potential Commercial endeavor. Taxes rate can be crazy and upwards go 50%.
Hope you all have safe travels and enjoy the ride! We look forward to welcoming you once the Pandemic travel worries have melted away as you sip on a drink at the beach upon arrival in San Juan del Sur!
Remember to contact your preferred RE/MAX Real Estate Agent for all your Real Estate needs currently covering San Jaun del Sur, Tola and Central Coast! Also, if you want to become an agent, contact me! Feel free to check out all the listing on our website at http://www.Property-Nicaragua.com
Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You must log in to post a comment.